Pickelhaube - Modifications during 1867-1870
Introduction M67 helmet for teams of foot troops:
- The front visor was rounded now. The helmet was reduced again in height (23 to 26 cm) and weighed about 6 Loth (100 g) less than the previous model (500 to 700 g).
- The cross fitting under the spike was replaced by a round plate fitting with a diameter of 8 cm, which was attached with 4 pins. The spike was now 10,5 to 11,5 cm high, for officers at the bottom with a rippled wreath.
- Elimination of the rear spine.
- Introduction of a new fastening concept for the eagle plate. Backside, 2 small flat metal strips bent downwards were soldered on. In addition, on the outside of the helmet, 2 eyelets were attached, with which the eagle plate could be easily hooked onto the helmet.
- Reduction of cockade diameter to 50 mm for enlisted men of the foot troops.
- Generals, wing adjutants, officers of the War Department, the General Staff and the Adjutant's Office retain the helmet fittings, the front visor and the neck guard of the previous helmet model M60.
- Regimental chiefs and "à la suite" Generals could also do this, but they had to wear at least the regiment's Eagle plate
- Dragoons retain the old model of pickelhaube with cross fitting and squared front visor.
- Introduction of the M67 helmet with ball (instead of spike) for mounted artillery.
Introduction of the new M67 helmet (introduced 16.3.1867) also for officers of foot troops:
- However, the new attachment of the heraldic eagle was not adopted. For officers, the attachment with soldered threaded pins and square nut remained.
- Introduction of the two-piece officer cockades with a fanned disc of 55 mm diameter and a 5 mm wide silver affixed ring with a double ring pattern (twin ring).
- Non-commissioned officers with portepee continued to wear a cockade in style of the old officer cockades, but with diameter 50 mm.
Introduction of the directive that the Prussian cockade always had to be worn on the right side and the national cockade, of the countries associated with Prussia, on the left side.